Mon/Tues 1. Preview the new Unit, look through chapter 3 of AHON. Predict: What do you think you will learn about in this unit?
#13 Early English Settlements 2. Watch 18 minutes of “Rebels” in America: Story of Us (first episode) Compare and Contrast the early settlements of Jamestown and Plymouth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoEcLXWoFvg
1. How did the early Jamestown settlers turn the colony into a success? What New World resources did they take advantage of? 2. Compare and contrast the real Pocahontas described in the video to the Disney movie’s version. 3. What was the main motivation for the Pilgrims to migrate to America? 4. What hardships did the Plymouth settlers face in the early years of the colony? 5. Describe the origin of Thanksgiving.
3. Play the Jamestown Online Adventure at http://www.historyglobe.com/jamestown/ (use Photon on the iPads) After playing, In a complete sentence, explain why were you unsuccessful in your first attempt at settlement in the Jamestown game? Explain what you did different in subsequent rounds of the game to make your settlement a success. (If you succeeded in the first attempt, really? Ok, so what did you do that led to success?)
Wed/Thurs 1. Read #14 "The English Colonies in America" History Alive! Chapter 3.1 and 3.2 (pages 35-38) and the article “From Indentured Servants to Slaves.” Answer the questions in the document to the right. The article is in the document below the questions.
2. Label and color the English Colonies Map. Finish for HW if needed.
Friday 1. Finish #14 English Colonies questions and #15 English Colonies Map (finish map for hw if necessary)
2. COLONY BILLBOARD Ms. Day will assign you one of the 13 English colonies. You will design a billboard to encourage people to settle in your colony. You will create the billboard using pic collage and then post it to padlet for a grade. You want to entice people to come live in your colony, so make sure you focus on the positive aspects of your colony.
Your billboard MUST include the following:
1. The name of your colony, founder of the colony, and year it was founded. 2. A short, clever (hopefully) slogan that will help people remember why they should settle in the colony you have selected. 3. Five images to represent the five characteristics of your colony
climate and geography
Present the characteristics in a way that would most likely attract settlers. 4. A short caption (one sentence ) for each image.